Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Just Because You Haven't Found It Doesn't Mean It's Not There



I love The Cure. When I found out that the album, Disintegration, had come out, I returned to school from my lunch break and borrowed enough money to return immediately and buy it. I almost missed the bus when I got back.

The day I stopped buying albums from The Cure was the day I discovered that one of the songs on their then-new album, Bloodflowers, was about how God does not exist. Robert Smith, the singer, was quoted in a magazine article (I believe it was Rolling Stone) saying that he had searched all his life and finally, in his late 40s or early 50s, come to the conclusion that there was no God. I was devastated to hear someone I had idolized throughout my teenage years say something that went so fully against my personal beliefs.

Ironically, about this same time, I visited Bjork's website and she had similar things to say. Thankfully, none of her songs have this as a theme.

A few years before this, I threw out a Dead Can Dance album when I learned that the song, How Fortunate The Man With None, was about religion. Funny, I consider myself quite fortunate.

Who are people to think that a thing does not exist merely because THEY have not discovered it? My mind goes to the gentleman who in recent years left the LDS Church and created an anti-Mormon video all due to the fact that his personal research failed to turn up the specific proofs of Mormonism that he had expected to find. Did your patriarchal blessing tell you, sir, that "you will map the Nephite genome and prove once and for all to the world that Mormonism is true"? If so, then I would leave the church, too. Well, unless I had a testimony that the Lord would come through for me, in which case I would just keep working on it. But anyways.

So, on a related note, one that is much more understandable, I recently listened to an interview of Maurice Sendak on the NPR website and learned that he, too, is an atheist. He can't understand how God would allow something like the Holocaust to take place. You can listen to it here, if you wish. I'm just grateful for the perspective that the Gospel gives us as Latter-day Saints.

No comments:

Post a Comment